Summer supplies urgently needed at Union Gospel Mission
Vancouver, BC—Extreme weather is felt most intensely by those struggling without consistent shelter. As summer progresses and the heat intensifies, Union Gospel Mission is seeking to replenish its hot weather supplies to protect those in need from the sun rays and heat.
UGM is asking the public to donate the following new or gently used items to the Mission:
- Reusable water bottles
- Hats (baseball hats, summer hats)
- Bottled water
- Light, long sleeve shirts
- Men’s shorts and T-shirts
- Underwear (new only)
To view the updated list of needs: www.ugm.ca/mostneeded
Items are generally distributed 3 ways:
- Individuals come to UGM and ask either for help, or specific items. UGM distributes based on assessed need and item availability.
- UGM outreach workers and volunteers hit the streets, providing protective items to those suffering from or at risk of the heat.
- From 10Pm to 4AM, 2-3 nights a week, The Mobile Mission (UGM’s fully outfitted rescue vehicle) travels through streets, alleyways, under bridges and into parking garages, looking for the hidden homeless who are often extremely vulnerable. It will also be stocked with special summer supplies for those in need.
Union Gospel Mission has been feeding hope and changing the lives of men, women, and children for over 70 years. Through its 7 locations in Metro Vancouver and the city of Mission, UGM provides counseling, education, safe housing, and alcohol and drug recovery to those struggling with poverty, homelessness, and addiction. The heart of the mission is to demonstrate God’s transforming love, ease the burden of the most vulnerable, rebuild the lives of the broken, and offer dignity to those who feel cast aside. To find out more, visit www.ugm.ca.Back to Media Centre